Saturday, March 8, 2008

Stream of Potato Consciousness

At last, I'm out of that freakin' hot boiling sea of lard!

So, here I am, another thin slice of potato ready for my life's journey. I'm salted and peppered ever so subtly to suit your liking. I'm deep down in the middle of this paper container. My kins are all fired up. We've been through hell and back and now we are free. See, how golden my color is? It's just the right color - not charred nor underdone.

I'm nestled comfortably in the bottom. I like it here. Maybe I can catch a few winks before they serve us. I haven't slept for days. If I were human, I'd have eye bags the size of a double burger. But oh, I just can't sleep. Sleeping is so hard for me these days. Perhaps, I'm just excited. I remember when I was but a part of a tuber, I slept and slept like there was no tomorrow. Some things do have to change. Change, change, change is all that's happening now. Oh well, succumb.

Hmmm...we'll get cold if they don't serve us yet. I have no thoughts now. My mind is a huge blank.

The kitchen crew is a noisy bunch. All they ever do is talk, talk, talk about senseless, unimportant matters. I don't listen to them. I don't listen much to humans. They talk too much about the same things. One repetition just isn't enough for them. I say, once is a ride, twice is enough. And thrice? Just plain drab. Humans totally bore me most of the time.

I don't know when they plan to fire us off. We are getting cold and I am (thankfully) getting sleepy. I guess I'll entertain sleep now. I'll give you an update soon. If I ever get to wake up conscious.

Potatoes ought to sleep, too.

1 comment:

StrangeBird said...

nice metaphor. very eloquent.